On November 17th, Action Now members joined unions, community members and the Occupy Wall Street movement at a rally to call for JOBS instead of cuts to schools, libraries, health services, medicare, medicaid, social security and other programs that benefit working families! There were similar rallies held all over the country to show that Americans are united and fed up with bearing the brunt of the recession while the rich continue to get richer!
Three years after Wall Street wrecked our economy, millions are still out of work, and the gap between the richest 1% and the rest of us continues to grow. 99% of Americans are living through an economic emergency, but our legislators don’t seem to notice!
Instead of creating the good jobs we need, Congress and the State Legislature are spending their time protecting tax loopholes for the rich and pushing for billions in budget cuts that would eliminate jobs, health clinics, education, and other critical state and federal services.
At the rally, over a thousand people marched from the Thompson Center to the Lasalle Street Bridge and proceeded to block traffic on the bridge. Action Now members and 40 other members of labor and community organizations risked arrest by sitting in the middle of the Lasalle Street Bridge and refused to move until they were forcibly removed by police.
Click links below for press coverage: